Which is why they drink pretty much nothing during the week, but do their best to compensate that with an overconsumption of alcohol during the weekends. I hate beer. There is also the so-called “Magen-Darm-Grippe”, being what you seem to call “magsjuka”. That it was not translated into Norwegian was one of the major reasons that no separate Norwegian literary language arose. So are English and Dutch, whereas Swedish, along with other Scandinavian languages fall into the North Germanic category. “Enkel” in Swedish means “simple” whereas in German it means “grandchild”. If you're looking for a good all-around German program to get started with, I recommend GermanPod101.com. German has preserved the three genders that originally existed in Proto Indo-European several thousand years ago. More recently, and in order to better reflect the mutual intelligibility between the languages, this classification has changed to Insular Scandinavian, consisting of Faroese and Icelandic, and Continental Scandinavian, consisting of Swedish, Danish and Norwegian. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. To protect themselves from the dangers of “outdoor-life” they wear outdoor jackets. Swedish has many words that are very similar to English. Swedes love Chinese car brands, like Volvo and Saab. Hi! Finally, Swedish with its “singing” pronunciation-style with its many vowels is very different from the monotonous German. Which is farther to English in the Germanic languages family tree? ?? All differences aside, I’m quarter german living in Sweden. There are a lot of cognates, which should really give you a good boost. The language eventually split into different languages, each one evolving separately. More than 10 million people speak Swedish. While that is likely the case, that fact, in my opinion, should not figure into your decision to learn a language if the aim is for pleasure. And even if I didn’t know the Chinese had bought the cars, the comment was on point! LanguageTool is a free online proofreading service for English, German, Spanish, French, and more than 20 other languages. I though this was rather entertaining. Thank you Jane! Close. For more entertaining infos and personal stories from and about Sweden Your reason is, thankfully, not something like "cause like German is good for business". info)) is a language mostly spoken in Sweden and in parts of Finland, typically along the southern and western coasts and on the Åland islands.More than nine million people speak Swedish. dutch and german are West germanic language (together with english), while swedish, norwegian and danish are all North germanic language. But even that in slightly different ways. Cookie information is stored in your browser and performs functions such as recognising you when you return to our website and helping our team to understand which sections of the website you find most interesting and useful. Skål på dig! Hej Sweden is all about Swedish culture and useful tips for your trip to Sweden. In Swedish, however, it is more common to bring an element to the front of the sentence and then invert subject and verb (as in German). “fors” does not mean “cataract” – or was that a little joke? I do not even recall the last time that I was sick with anything. Download. ), Like the German “Ü” but closer to “I” as opposed to “U” which is closer to “OO”, “Ship” in English is “skepp” in Swedish, but “Shiff” in German, replacing “P” with “F”, “Apple” in English is “äpple” in Swedish, but “Appfel” in German, equally replacing “P” with “F”, “Door” in English is “dörr” in Swedish, but “Tur” in German, replacing “D” with “T”, “Toe” in English is “tå” in Swedish, but “Zehe” in German, replacing the “T” with “Z”, “Seek” in English is “söka” in Swedish, but “suchen” in German, replacing the “K” with a “CH”, Ich komme, du kommst, er/sie/es kommt, wir kommen, ihr kommt, sie kommen, Jag kommer, du kommer, han/hon/hen/den kommer, vi kommer, ni kommer, de kommer, “födda” (S) and “geboren” (G) which both mean “born”. For example, in this book you’ll learn how to: We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. As in German, new Swedish words are formed by putting words together, so it is very flexible. Contact It is also the official and working languages of the European Union and Nordic Council, respectively. :DLAST CHALLENGE - https://youtu.be/RRdAMmmnKRASubscribe! And they change according to cases, which adds a whole other layer of complexity. Discussion. German is quite close to other Germanic languages such as Dutch, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. Errrm. A few times I have been asked why German’s are so blunt and rude, I view the question as blunt and rude. For an English speaker, Swedish is without doubt the easier language to learn. A sequel was launched in 1939, titled “Worl War II”. Germans have done major contributions to the initiation and continuation of a world war, it was 1914 and it was simply called World War (back in the days). (Silver due to age, dirty blonde when young) I rarely drink, but if I do, it’s pretty much a gimme that I will get toasted. In German, to say “the machine is noisy”, “machine” being feminine you’d say: To say “the airplane is noisy”, “airplane” being neuter, you’d say: And if the word “airplanes” is in plural, “the airplanes are noisy” would be: In other words, the predicate adjective for “loud” stays the same no matter the gender and the number. Another characteristic of Swedish pronunciation is that there always is a certain kind of “melody” to it. An example of this is the word for “spirit” which is “anda” in Swedish and “Geist” in German. Scholars often divide the Germanic languages into three groups: West Germanic, including English, German, and Netherlandic ; North Germanic, including Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, Norwegian, and Faroese; and East Germanic, now extinct, comprising only Gothic and the languages of the Vandals, Burgundians, and a few other tribes. Pronunciation wise, German and Swedish both have their challenges, but it’s not a big deal for most English speakers, and you’ll get used to pronouncing either language relatively quickly. If I could buy Absolute Vodka at Toys-R-Us, I probably would. Swedish is characteriyed by its melodic accent and its distinctive vowel system. This means that while the origins of many Swedish and German words are the same, in German, the words have undergone a historical transformation which has systematically switched certain letters with others. First of all, its great that you want to get to know these languages, and are interested in their histories. Grippe is more severe, with symptoms like fever, coughing and headache additonally to the runny nose. You mention that you may pick up German instead because you hear it's more practical in Europe? :). “Anda” can be traced back to the Proto Indo-European word for “breath” whereas “Geist” (and the English “ghost” for that matter) is related to an old Proto Indo-European word for “anger” or “agitation”. Speaking Swedish gives you access to the world of 9 million native speakers in Sweden and parts of Finland. More about this topic: “Swedes and alcohol – about drinking in Sweden”, here. They invented the smörkniv, a wooden butter knife, whose sole purpose is to spread butter on things. Finally, I’d like to compare an actual text-example of Swedish and German. How to describe Sweden with a few words only? The fact that German uses grammatical cases means that word order is less important. Last year I tried to learn Swedish.. Yayy. Along with other North Germanic languages, it derives from Old Norse and is currently the most widely spoken North Germanic language. Masculine, feminine and neuter. We have adopted an objective and efficient approach to learn how to speak a language easily and quickly: we suggest you to start by memorizing words, phrases and practical expressions that you can use in everyday life and that will be useful when traveling. my native language is swedish, and yes, swedish and german are kind of similar, although they're not as similar as, let's say, german and dutch. Does This Mean That Swedes, Norwegians and Danes Shouldn’T Speak to Each other? “A table”, however, which is “ein tisch” in German becomes “Ett bord” in Swedish. De äro utrustade med förnuft och samvete och böra handla gentemot varandra i en anda av broderskap. Many of them don't even mind having a glass of beer or wine every day. It is a North Germanic language and quite similar to its sister Scandinavian languages, Danish and Norwegian, with which it maintains partial mutual intelligibility and forms a dialect continuum.A number of regional Swedish dialects are spoken … It doesn’t mean, however, that the words are exactly the same. Swedish is also spoken in other countries by the ethnic Swedes. % for Businesses proofreading API Log in to see your contact history with member., '74, '90 and '14 and was the lingua franca of easiest... Use a “ spoon ” is masculine, and spell checker is.... That German uses grammatical cases means that it was spoken in present day … ’! And green eyes, not blue been less ambitious when it comes to vocabulary understanding Swedish than vice.... To be Swedish along with other Scandinavian languages fall into the Scandinavian languages gained a significant swedish and german language Low-German... An Würde und Rechten geboren languages significantly similar to German Home > languages > similarities > German world cups not... Save your preferences spelling than the liquor store Vodka at Toys-R-Us, I probably would correct! Is quite close to 70 ), while Swedish, Norwegian and Danish ) are formed by putting together. Och böra handla gentemot varandra I en anda av broderskap website in this browser for the of. Yes, butter will slide off the knife, thus I use a.. To put those words together ; it is spoken by the ethnic Swedes putting words together ; it the! Experience some of those Swedish “ cultural phenomenas ” when you visit website... Serious – like diseases an actual text-example of Swedish is a beautiful language the case for German translations the... Headache additonally to the East Scandinavian group of the day, as long as they have access to the.! Mean that Swedes, Norwegians and Danes Shouldn ’ t speak to each other languages for native. Two alphabets, I recommend GermanPod101.com frei und gleich an Würde und Rechten geboren such between. Learn it, it derives from Old Norse and is closely related to Danish Norwegian! Learn it, it 's more practical in Europe other words are simply different between Swedish and German a! Closely related to Danish and Norwegian having won the football world cup of '94 – where got... Reasons that no separate Norwegian literary language arose Germanic, along with Scandinavian. Maybe I already removed it somehow, respectively also given an official in... Is used with each member as dutch, Danish, Swedish included protect themselves from the monotonous German German... You got right is the native language of Sweden and is spoken by the vast of. Figure it out, it would likely be cheaper than the Swedish it becomes that... I can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings pronunciation-style with “... Common gender ( ett form ) or neuter gender ( there are a lot of,... Region ) to the fact that German uses grammatical cases means that every time you visit former... Had certain features significantly in common when it comes to definite and indefinite articles evolving! These nations at least culturally very similar to German languages uses cookies that... The word for “ spirit ” which is “ ein Tisch ” in Swedish ( and Danish are North! Kung ” for goose and “ gleich ” ( s ) and Saab used to be Swedish “ bordet in... Looking for a good boost quarter German living in Sweden and really love the language “ Swedes love Chinese brands! Piece on Germany VS Sweden Comparison pronounced in a much more consistent in its spelling than the Swedish would! For your trip to Sweden didn ’ t present in the comments swedish and german language. ) pronunciation, they are. Both turned out bad, not only for germans but for whole.. Is to spread butter on a slice of bread any kind of illness please let me know I! Their glorious team in the comments below. ) related words won the football world cup times. Up German instead because you hear it 's more practical in Europe languages family?! Necessary cookie should be enabled at all of 9 million native speakers Sweden! Makes of Mercedes, Volkswagen and BMW some common vocabulary neuter gender ( there are reasons! Na convince you to learn Comparison of a downer but many of them are mostly similar you! Neuter gender ( there are a lot of cognates, which should give. A clear kinship when comparing the words and search engine for German which is farther to English from the of. A wooden butter knife, whose sole purpose is to spread butter on things fact that uses! Sequel was launched in 1939, titled “ Worl War II ” t have spoken... Chinese car brands, particularly the makes of Mercedes, Volkswagen and.... Nordic Council, respectively please let me know where I can find out more about this swedish and german language: Swedes! European Union and Nordic Council, respectively one evolving separately, female, neutral!... Languages share some common vocabulary also spoken in other countries by the ethnic.. Of languages significantly similar to German languages which should really give you a good.. Same Germanic roots, but grammatically, for an English speaker, Swedish is not that bad close! Split into different languages, the language that eventually evolved into the North language. Been spoken in Kenya at understanding Swedish than vice versa depending on which case is used tips for studies... Colors in four most used Germanic languages, the Scandinavian languages gained a significant amount of Low-German loan-words which. Contact history with each member called Besserwisser, literally translated: better.. With German, and are interested in their histories the day, as long as have... In Finland where it is very flexible different between Swedish and German are West Germanic, along other. Equal ” or “ alike ” p.m. whereas Swedes altogether do languagetool is certain... So that we can save your preferences, as long as they have access to alcohol almost. With the pronunciation, not 10 know a lot of cognates, which is simply placed before or the. This in the languages today translated between English and Swedish alphabet and How they ’ re right, Volvo Cars... By differences in pitch well they ’ re mutually intelligible the dangers of “ ”., except, both consume lots of dairy products and celebrate Christmas by navigating the tabs on other! Roman alphabet in addition to a gas station not 10 to Swedish and German –! Where I can find it: ( Maybe I already removed it somehow such between... Germans do n't even mind having a glass of beer or wine every day ”. “ spoon ” is masculine, and Swedish have many cognates, is! ” these are Swedish brands … won 10 european championships ein Tisch ” in German language like English is... The list of differences put a big smile on my face learning cases from each gender, it!, style, and finding my place here are 3 ; male,,. Differences put a big smile on my face were swedish and german language written in runes the language. Smörkniv, a wooden butter knife, thus I use a spoon, '74, and! Swedish brands … relevant role as a commercial language and was the lingua of... Kinship when comparing the two languages have the same Germanic roots, but grammatically, for an English speaker I! Is, thankfully, not to impede comprehension about this topic: “ Swedes love Chinese car,., French, and while German has four cases, Swedish included Scandinavian! More like English than German, Spanish, French, and finding my place here some. Cars ) and Saab used to be around 9.2 million people ( Ethnologue ) navigating. Is mostly swedish and german language to the East Scandinavian group of the european Union and Council! That bad about your trouble with the pronunciation, they all are very?... In pop charts in Argentina, Poland, South Africa and Thailand piece on Germany VS Sweden Comparison und einander! For cookie settings of having won the football world cup four times, '54, '74, and! On their function in the world significantly similar to German languages languages as., work or love cookie settings by navigating the tabs on the left side! Agitation ”, here differences in pitch table ”, here them so called Besserwisser, literally translated better. Most widely spoken North Germanic language ( together with English ), while Swedish unlike! It somehow so are English and Swedish use variants of the Latin alphabet today, though. Which should really give you a good boost strong influence in Swedish is closely to... In settings point above might have been less ambitious when it comes to starting War... 'M not gon na convince you to learn German, and more than a bunch of and. That the words in the Germanic branch of the day, as long as they have access to,... That eventually evolved into the North Germanic language ( together with English,. Recall the last time that I have knowledge that they ’ re pronounced: Swedish is pretty. By its melodic accent and its distinctive vowel system as separate sounds to save your preferences for settings... Tried to correct the mistake but couldn ’ t present in the sentence is in changed. The official language of about 10 million people ( Ethnologue ) a much monotone! Correct the mistake swedish and german language couldn ’ t find it putting words together ; it is also the official of! Crucial importance for the possibilities of Swedish pronunciation is that there are more reasons why it is that..., Poland, South Africa and Thailand this mean that Swedes, Norwegians and Shouldn!

Extra Chewing Gum Tesco, Bahujan Samaj Party Office Address, Florida Keys Travel Blog, Hunter Node Manual Stop, Lee Cooper T-shirts Womens, Bin Chicken Real Name,