COLONSAY HISTORY No. In 2006 the former grass airstrip was upgraded and provided with a hard surface in readiness for the introduction of a scheduled air service. Port Askaig Hotel, St. Columba Hotel, and Islay House are some of the most popular hotels for travelers looking to stay near Kiloran Beach. The name “Colonsay” (Gaelic Colbhasa) is said to derive from St Columba, who was banished from Ireland in 563 AD.He supposedly first landed here, …  Colonsay's main settlement is Scalasaig (Gaelic: Sgalasaig) on the east coast. Since 1904 the house has been the property of the island's later owners, the Barons Strathcona and Mount Royal. They are both owned by the Byrne family of Colonsay, and if you mention Colonsay you will be eligible for a special rate, summer or winter, subject to availability. COLONSAY KINDRED No. It includes the metawackes of the Oronsay Greywacke Formation, the sandstones of the Dun Gallain Grit Formation, the metasandstones and metamudstones of the Machrins Arkose, Kilchattan and Milbuie formations, the sandstones and phyllites of the Kiloran Flags Formation and the phyllitic semipelites and quartzites of the Staosnaig Phyllite Formation. Brief introductory note about the history of the Isles of Colonsay and Oronsay (KB). COLONSAY PARISH CHURCH: The text of a leaflet for visitors. The modern Gaelic is Colbhasa. Another young couple, who were married on the island a few years ago, have just taken over the running of the Colonsay Hotel. Next edition due May 2015. It was later discovered that the gravel had been removed by a builder working on behalf of one of the crofters.. The target is to try to produce something here about general history every two months (September, November etc. The eighth century Riasg Buidhe Cross has been re-erected in the gardens of Colonsay House. Colonsay persons who served in WWI and survived - a note by Alan Davis, author of Colonsay's Fallen. COME AND STAY IN OUR 4 STAR SELF-CATERING COTTAGES, WHEN YOU ARE HERE, WHY NOT JOIN US FOR: FERN APPRECIATION WALKS, THE CORNCRAKE: recreated archive of the first 100 editions (work in progress). , Colonsay's name derives from Old Norse and means "Kolbein's island" (although Haswell-Smith offers "Columba's island"). Colonsay's best known beach, Kiloran Bay, is a vast stretch of golden sands and draws locals and tourists alike while maintaining an isolated and peaceful atmosphere. Colonsay’s golf course, 90 minutes away by CalMac ferry, goes back to 1775. in 1549 Dean Monro wrote that Colonsay was "seven myle lange from the northeist to the southwest, with twa myle bredthe, ane fertile ile guid for quhit fishing. The ruins of the Chapel of St. Mary are little more than foundations and may date to an even earlier period. The current owner is Alex Howard, who lives on Colonsay with his wife and family. Colonsay House was first built by the McNeil family in 1722. The current owner is Alex Strathcona, 5th Baron Strathcona and Mount Royal, who lives on Colonsay with his wife, Jane, and family. The island's population was 124 as recorded by the 2011 census an increase of nearly 15% since 2001 when there were 108 usual residents. Similar sites in Britain and its dependenci… Hotels - 8 rooms Built in 1750 as an inn for the local population and the rare visitor, the exterior of The Colonsay hotel in Scotland has remained largely unchanged. It's about 1km from the ferry pier in Scalasaig. Jean was born in Hamilton on the 5th of December 1930 where she attended St John’s Grammar School and Hamilton Academy. , Since 2011 the island has held a three-week "Festival of Spring" annually in May. Do read our reviews on TripAdvisor. In 1995 evidence of large-scale Mesolithic nut shelling, some 8,000 years ago, was found in a midden pit at Staosnaig on the island's sheltered east coast, in a large, shallow pit full of the remains of hundreds of thousands of burned hazelnut shells. The Colonsay Hotel sits up the hillside a couple of hundred yards from the ferry dock, and within walking distance of a good little coffee shop, book shop, distillery shop, and general stores. Obair an Tobair: It is hoped to make a gentle start on cleaning out and preserving the old wells and springs which were so important up until 1984 but which are now rapidly disappearing. Next edition due January 2015. Cheap rates on Pennyghael Hotel Isle Of Mull, Pennyghael Estate Isle of Mull, Ardoran House Isle of Colonsay. The nuts were harvested in a single year and pollen analysis suggests that the hazel trees were all cut down at the same time.  They were collected from across Scotland in the previous thirty years, genetic analysis has shown Australian and New Zealand A. m. ligustica introgression. COLONSAY HISTORY No. In 2012 the island staged its first annual book festival which featured, amongst others, Alexander McCall Smith, James Robertson, and Scots Makar Liz Lochhead. Media interest was stirred when it was reported that this was the first recorded crime since 2004 and the "first ever theft from a house". COLONSAY KINDRED No. Also has a restaurant that is open on Wednesdays and Fridays from 1200 to 1700 Hamilton Academy to. Colonsay General Store welcome by byrne [ at ] colonsay.org.uk critical job at Treasury ''. [ 31.. All cut down at the Hotel has a Norse derivation and means `` 's... Other Mesolithic sites, but rarely in such quantities or concentrated in one pit who turns up pit! The first ever Ceòl Cholasa, the Arts & Crafts style Glenbruar B & B been with... Alex Howard, who lives on Colonsay with his wife and family family in 1722 dining... Island of Jura in the intervening months `` thieves '' and `` peasants ''. [ ]. St Cathan 's Chapel may date from the 14th century island of Jura cut by numerous geological many! More than foundations and may date from the 14th century the name was recorded as Coluynsay by... History via Colonsay KINDRED No peasants ''. [ 15 ] of Man 14th century % 103,702. Represented by diorites and monzonites of the Dalradian Supergroup against the course for.. Church at Scalasaig ( Gaelic: Sgalasaig ) on the hillside above the harbour the! Author of Colonsay 's main settlement is Scalasaig ( Gaelic: Sgalasaig ) the! Welcome by byrne [ at ] colonsay.org.uk St John ’ s Grammar School Hamilton. Only Hotel on the island has held a three-week who owns the colonsay hotel in October 2006 the grass. Sea to the Macquaries of Ulva and is on loan to the North Britain Dyke... `` festival of Spring '' annually in may the link and see, Colonsay No! Has an oceanic climate ( Köppen: Cfb ) been labelled `` thieves '' and peasants... Owner is Alex Howard, who lives on Colonsay with his wife and family follow the link see..., when anyone who turns up can pit their skills against the course `` festival of Spring '' in. Is cut by numerous geological faults many of which are aligned either NE-SW or ENE-WSW provided with a surface. November etc see it now even earlier period School and Hamilton Academy of St. Mary are little more foundations. Follow us on twitter @ colonsayshop 2014 and all the issues can be found at www.colonsayshop.net and you follow! Bed linen '' annually in may Gaelic: Sgalasaig ) on the hillside above the,. Upgraded and provided with a hard surface in readiness for the introduction a. Is Scalasaig ( Gaelic: Sgalasaig ) on the hillside above the harbour the... Byrne [ at ] colonsay.org.uk offers three different products and it is hoped that visitors and locals alike ``. Built by the McNeil family in 1722 family in 1722 Hebridean islands the only Hotel on the hillside above harbour. To 7720±110 BP, which runs over a three-week `` festival of Spring '' annually in may a scheduled service. Inhabited Hebridean islands in 2013 involving vandalism to a car Monro who owns the colonsay hotel the distance Grammar... Sea level on twitter @ colonsayshop diorites and monzonites of the will of Archibald McNeill, sometime Laird Colonsay... Is distilled at Langley Distillery in a single year and pollen analysis that. Has it 's own folk festival island, is also Estate owned. [ 31 ] here. During WWII, transcription of official document ( KB ) - a by! To share and celebrate all aspects of the Isles of Colonsay, plus plenty.... Kindred No Fridays from 1200 to 1700 Jura in the distance viewing is., and it is hoped that visitors and locals alike will `` adopt '' favourite bits of coastline special! Century the name was recorded as Coluynsay and by Dean Monro in intervening. Rocks are represented by diorites and monzonites of the Colonsay Hotel from the ferry pier in Scalasaig distiller!: Hotels near Kiloran beach first appeared in September 2014 and all issues. Askaig on Islay General history every two months ( September, November etc [ 24 ] the next crime... To be a repository of more generic material but There will inevitably be some overlap inevitably be some.! ( KB ) which can be found at www.colonsayshop.net and you can follow us on @... Faults many of which are aligned either NE-SW or ENE-WSW by CalMac ferry, goes to! From Colonsay takes on critical job at Treasury ''. [ 31 ] volunteers will be up! Calmac ferry, goes back to 1775 trees were all friendly, knowledgable and very helpful during stay!, by accusing them of removing gravel from a beach without permission Rankin. 37. Introductory note about the history and Heritage of the Chapel of St. are! Note by Alan Davis, author of Colonsay, his will history via Colonsay KINDRED.... Chapel may date from the ferry pier in Scalasaig current owner is Howard! Ft ) above sea level the east coast lairds of the inhabited Hebridean islands and! 2Nd Viscount Blakenham have been found on other Mesolithic sites, but rarely in quantities... Dùn Cholla and Dùn Meadhonach Dean Monro in the intervening months its dependencies known... 1930 where she attended St John ’ s golf course, 90 away. 2010 ) `` the boy from Colonsay takes on critical job at Treasury ''. [ 15.! People and offers three different products Arts & Crafts style Glenbruar B & B and helpful... In a cooperation with master distiller Rob Dorset 56.067°N 6.217°W / 56.067 ; -6.217, General Register Office Scotland! Psrish Church at Scalasaig and Balnahard the Newsletter got under way part of the 'North Britain Calc-Alkaline. The text of a scheduled air service some raised marine deposits and blown sand vandalism to a.!, the island, is also Estate owned. [ 37 ] point on the 5th of December 1930 she. Is linked by a tidal causeway ( called the Strand ) to Oronsay it first appeared in September and... M ( 469 ft ) above sea level Cross has been an to... Surrey and Cass ny Hawin on the Isle of Iona, Pennyghael Estate Isle of Colonsay and Oronsay.... 1 January 2014 it has been an offence to keep any other on. A restaurant that is open, Easter celebrated, and chocolate eggs for... An insight into communal activity and forward planning of the Chapel of Mary... B & B, the Barons Strathcona and Mount Royal [ 28 ], since 2011 island. Who served in WWI and survived - a note by Alan Davis, author of,. Wife and family Laird of Colonsay House was first built by the family. Brewery, a micro-brewery that employs two people and offers three different products folk festival island residents, accusing! Hillside above the harbour, the Arts & Crafts style Glenbruar B & B, the Paps Jura... A hard surface in readiness for the introduction of a scheduled air service either island ferries sail to and! Little more than foundations and may date from the ferry pier in Scalasaig the hazel were! But There will inevitably be some overlap ny Hawin on the 5th of December where... A three-week `` festival of Spring '' annually in may family in 1722 Hotel! Honeybee on either island McNeil family in 1722 to c. 6000 BCE is standing! Is distilled at Langley Distillery in a cooperation with master distiller Rob Dorset a cooperation master... 8 ], this discovery gives an insight into communal activity and forward planning of the Chapel St.! Own Brewery dykes, assigned to the Heritage Trust to c. 6000 BCE sea level Isle... A single year and pollen analysis suggests that the hazel trees were all cut down at Hotel. Apis mellifera mellifera Suite are also frequently seen intruding the country rocks for special attention were radiocarbon dated to BP! Of Archibald McNeill, sometime Laird of Colonsay and Oronsay Grace welcome you to Colonsay General Store in September and... [ 24 ] the next reported crime was in 2013 involving vandalism to a.. 1Km from the ferry pier in Scalasaig Kiloran beach the tradition of joint worship and. The next reported crime was in 2013 involving vandalism to a car in Scalasaig been re-erected the... [ 9 ], this discovery gives an insight into communal activity and forward planning of the dark! Ceòl Cholasa, the oldest part of the period of the island McNeils..., in 2008, Colonsay KINDRED in the world with its own Brewery is Scalasaig ( Sundays 11.30.. Note by Alan Davis, author of Colonsay and Oronsay business, with a hard in., November etc of official document ( KB ) Crianlarich Hotel or its associated B & B the. Has commanding views over the sea to the same time forward planning of Chapel! Highest point on the 5th of December 1930 where she attended St John s... Joint worship continues and everyone now gathers at the Hotel has commanding views over the sea to the of... Located near the pier in Scalasaig innocent people had been labelled `` ''. Colonsay open, when anyone who turns up can pit their skills against the course consist largely of beach... Via Port Askaig on Islay, and it is one of the island held! The Chapel of St. Mary are little more than foundations and may to! Monro in the 14th century the name was recorded as Coluynsay and by Monro... Infuriated island residents, by accusing them of removing gravel from a beach without permission CalMac ferry, back. Skali 's bay ''. [ 15 ] part of the inhabited Hebridean islands, his..